Solar Decathlon team in third place after Architecture awards
Purdue IN Home received 80 points in the Architecture contest at the Solar Decathlon during a ceremony at the U.S. Capitol Visitor Center. The team is now in third place behind Maryland (who won this contest) and Ohio State. The top three teams are within 9.5 points of each other.
Purdue moved up to second place in the People’s Choice Award this morning.
For the Architecture Contest, the jury evaluated the houses on the following criteria:
- Architectural elements – including the scale and proportion of room and facade features, indoor/outdoor connections, composition, and linking of various house elements.
- Holistic design – an architectural design that will be comfortable for occupants and compatible with the surrounding environment.
- Lighting – the integration and energy efficiency of electrical and natural light.
- Inspiration – a design that inspires and delights Solar Decathlon visitors.
- Documentation – including drawings, a project manual, and an audiovisual architecture presentation that accurately reflect the constructed project on the competition site.
Meet the jurors for the Architecture Contest, and others, at the official Solar Decathlon site.
The Engineering Contest results will be announced Thursday (9/29).