Innovation in higher education
The recent Chronicle for Higher Education article is an excellent summary for the need to change in higher education, and much of it centers around what we have been advocating in the College of Technology related to the “student experience”.
I found a number of very salient points for our efforts to move our college from Good to Great.
1. First and foremost we must have an openness for change.
2. We need a broad-minded strategy that embraces technology and learning at all levels.
3. We need faculty that can direct technology-rich projects for students.
4. International study is important.
5. Fund Instructional Technology Fellows who are PhD students assigned to work with faculty and students on technology enhancements to the curriculum.
6. Give students the option of completing either an internship, conduct independent research, or study abroad.