Transformation of the College of Technology

Written by  //  January 22, 2013  //  Uncategorized  //  2 Comments

On December 7, 2012, I presented to the faculty and staff my recommendations for transforming the college. To paraphrase from my proposal:

The College of Technology is at a critical moment in its history as the original reason for its formation is no longer the primary reason for its continued existence and relevance. Technology today is very different than it was 50 years ago.  The original undergraduate teaching mission of the college is only one of our important missions along with graduate education, funded research, engagement, and globalization. 

To truly transform the college and move us from Good to Great, I propose we focus our efforts on four major topics or themes:

1) Change the name of the college to communicate a clear and distinct break from our past and more clearly communicate the mission of the college. 

2) Reorganize the college’s administrative structure so that we create synergies around broad technical areas or discipline areas while still retaining programmatic and fundamental discipline-level distinction. 

3) Focus our curriculum efforts around a lineage that is based on engineering fundamentals, computer science fundamentals, and management and leadership fundamentals but with an emphasis on application blended with theory.

4) Create a budget model that searches for efficiencies and funds the college at a rate necessary to deliver preeminent programs.

I have attached the full draft proposal to this blog post and we are in the process of discussing the four themes described above. If you have any comments or recommendations please respond to this blog post.  An Academic Transformation Roadmap V5

2 Comments on "Transformation of the College of Technology"

1. Kurt L January 25, 2013 at 4:17 pm · Reply

This sounds quite promising. As a CoT alumnus (CGT’06), I’ve always found the College and its programs unique and hard to compare with those at other universities. I’m intrigued by the idea of renaming the College, though I’m struggling to come up with any suitable alternatives. When I was at Purdue, the idea that we were being trained to be technologists (rather than scientists, engineers, or technicians) was drilled into us, and I wonder if a new name will bring with it a new expectation of what graduates should be. Are there any frontrunners or even general directions for the new name?

One model to consider might be the Information Schools (iSchools) that have formed at many universities, often from the merging of library/information science and computer science programs. Like the CoT, these programs sit at the intersection of many disciplines and incorporate both technological instruction and specialized domain knowledge. They also seem to have been successful at differentiating themselves from the goals of related programs, like engineering, computer science, or management.

• Dean Bertoline January 26, 2013 at 10:46 am · Reply

Thank you for commenting on my most recent post. There is a task force being led by Dr. Bryan Hubbard that is looking into possible names for the college. That task force will be reporting its recommendations later this spring. I have had some discussions with our dean of libraries and there is interest in collaborating with us. The iSchool model is appealing as I agree that we are at the intersection of many disciplines.